Monday, March 14, 2005

Garlic-mushroom-prosciutto spaghetti

Text adapted from Adventures in Downtown Toronto.

Last week, I made a delicious spaghetti with a mushroom-prosciutto and garlic sauce.

I got real Italian spaghetti at the St. Lawrence Market and stocked up on different types of mushrooms.

Ingredients:
About 1 pound of assorted mushrooms
100 grams prosciutto very finely chopped
Three cloves of garlic (but you can add waaaaaaay more if you want)
1 shallot
Olive oil
Fresh basil
Half a pound real Italian spaghetti (or just regular spaghetti, they taste almost the same)
1 cup white wine
1/4 grated Parmesan cheese



I had button mushrooms, shitake, chanterelle, brown mushrooms and probably others that I don't even know.
I chopped three cloves of garlic and one shallot. I fried them in olive oil until brown and then added the mushrooms and chopped fresh basil. Meanwhile I was boiling the spaghetti in a different pot.
After a quick sautee, I added the drained spaghetti (I was really careful not to overcook it because I knew it was going to keep cooking with the mushrooms) and very finely chopped prosciutto. Finally I added a cup of white wine and 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese. I let the white wine evaporate and the spaghetti to finish cooking.

This is how my dinner looked:



Doesn't it look super delicious? It was very garlicky.

No comments: