Shasta MacNasty's Flickr page. Here is a link to her website, she has lots of garlic stuff there too. Delicious!
1 slice bacon, diced small
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 leek, sliced
4 scallions, sliced
1 shallot, sliced
1/2 white onion, sliced
1/2 vidaliia onion, sliced
1 head garlic, sliced
8 sprigs thyme, minced
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup white wine
3 cups chicken stock
1 small backing potato, peeled, and diced small
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and black pepper
1. Place a 3 quart chefs pan over medium heat and add diced bacon. Cook until crisp and then remove bacon bits.
2. Add the olive oil, leeks, scallions, shallots, white and vidalia onions, and garlic.
3. Allow the onions and garlic to caramelize, about 15 minute. Stir in the thyme and bay leaf.
4. Deglaze the pan with white wine. Be sure to scrape the fond off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
5. Pour in the chicken stock and bring the soup to a boil. Add the diced potatoes.
6. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes and onions are tender.
7. Puree the soup with a hand held emersion blender.
8. Stir in the cream and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper.
9. Garnish with bacon bits and serve hot.