Sunday, October 23, 2005

Garlic olive oil

I got an email yesterday, from Gina

Hello! Wondered if you could help me with a recipe.
An olive bar near me recently stopped carrying garlic cloves in oil with red
pepper flakes. They were so delicious and I’m sure there was no vinegar. Can you
help!? Thanks! Gina


Well, this is how I would do it, I learned this trick from my father a long time ago:
Chop garlic cloves really really fine. Put them in a bottle. Also put in th bottle some hot pepper flakes like the ones people usually put on pizza.
Fill the bottle with extra virgin olive oil and close tightly. There's no need to refrigerate, since it's oil. In about 2 weeks, you can use your homemade chili-garlic oil. To avoid the risk of botulism, use it right away or keep it in the fridge for up to one week.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/garlic-ail_e.html

Any other suggestions from Garlicster readers?

No comments: